We love a good Americana meal as much as the next gal but, we invite you to bypass basic ketchup & mustard and try a more exotic approach this summer with the cultured combo of harissa and tahini. The “sesame experts” at Mighty Sesame Co. meld these two versatile flavors seamlessly in a convenient, squeeze-and-serve bottle to get this creamy condiment into your palm and onto your plate for a much-appreciated extra zip.
The first of it’s kind, this original, all-natural harissa tahini adds subtle heat to everything from dressings to dips to meat and veggies. Mighty Sesame Tahini, which was anointed by Epicurious as “The Best Tahini You Can Buy,” now offers this aromatic game-changer that we use to pump up our ho hum dishes.
So what is harissa? Found on nearly every Israeli, Moroccan and Tunisian table, harissa is a paste made by blending roasted hot red peppers with select spices and herbs. This fragrant chili blend combines with garlic, olive oil, cumin, coriander, caraway and mint for a distinctive Mediterranean flavor. And know this: There are as many variations of harissa as there are grandmas who’ve passed their secrets down with hot, mild, smoky and pungent versions– all dependent on the ingredients and techniques. Plus, it’s incredibly nutrient-rich, packed with protein and calcium, and organic, vegan, gluten and dairy free, kosher and halal. It’s literally the OG “secret sauce” you’re searching for.
Ready to take your dip game up a peg? Just in time for the sunshine season ahead, Mighty Sesame Co, shows us what’s saucy with this aromatic recipe that’s perfect for your summer soirées.
Subtle Spice Harissa Tahini Dip
- 3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil + extra for garnish
- ¼ Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3/4 C. Mighty Sesame Harissa Tahini
- 2t. Lemon Zest + 2T of Lemon Juice
- ¼ t. Salt
- ¼ Black Fresh Ground Pepper + for garnish
- ¼ T. Flaky Sea Salt as Garnish
1. In saute pan, heat oil. Add onions and cook until caramelized. Add garlic for the final 1-2 minutes.
2. In a small food processor/blender, add harissa tahini , lemon zest and juice. Mix until smooth. Add onion and garlic mixture, including oil, until well mixed.
3. Add in some hot water to reach desired consistency: thick or thick, you choose!
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. For garnish, drizzle oil and flaky sea salt right.
6. Serve with warm pita, fresh cut veggies or spread. it. on., as your new favorite burger, brats or grilled chicken topping.
*Purchase a 2-pack of the new Mighty Sesame Co. Harissa Tahini via Amazon for $9.99: here.
*Header image courtesy of Mighty Sesame Co.